Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Thing #5


iraq
Originally uploaded by soldiersmediacenter
There are so many pictures on Flickr that I had a hard time deciding where to start. I decided to begin by searching “libraries”. I got too many pictures so I narrowed my search by adding “elementary”. I was hoping to get some decorating ideas but I was unimpressed. Then I browsed the pictures that Flickr has selected as being the most interesting. Scenic pictures seem to be very popular. After viewing the beautiful scenes from America, I wanted to see if Flickr had any pictures from Iraq. My nephew was deployed about a week ago and I wanted to see what he will be doing during the next 15 months. I was able to quickly located pictures that represented his duties by typing in key words. I learned how important it is to correctly tag the pictures. My nephew is an army scout and he operates the gun on a Stryker. I chose this picture to honor him and all the other soldiers fighting in Iraq.

Accessing Flickr and setting up the necessary accounts wasn’t that difficult but it was time consuming. Once everything is set up, Flickr should be very easy to use. I think that it is a great way to share information. A picture is worth a thousand words. The way that it is organized by groups is very helpful. Librarians can share ideas by posting pictures of bulletin boards, special activities, displays and many other things that take place in the library.

No comments: